Pages


Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Death of A Writer - II

(This is the second part in a series of ... many. Continued from here)

The writer’s question was more prosaic: “Do you enjoy fiction?”

“Yes”, I said.
“May I tell you a story?”
“Of course.”

Perhaps, my memory fails me or a lovely marmalade nostalgia has tinted my perspective, but it strikes me as perfectly natural that he should propose to tell a story and I would readily agree. Time wasn’t an immediate constraint for either of us: my PhD was barely beginning and there were miles to go (though that never prevented me from sleeping well); he was a writer, who wrote in the mornings and researched – “gossiped” or “idled away” being less charitable adjectives – from noon to night. The larger point I want to make, though, is somewhat less immediate: time was rarely in short supply, for many of us then. 
    
“I want you to picture a man of forty-eight: tall, beard as white as salt, the island of baldness forever encroaching on the sea of his hair, his nose being his only distinguishing feature, though its excessive length made him look more crooked than distinguished; his – “

“— Are you describing yourself?”
“Ah, I gave too much away, didn’t I?”
“You might as well have said: ‘Picture me.’”
“But, I didn’t want to say it, because I wanted your objective opinion.”
“On how handsome you are?”

He burst out laughing. An old Purandaradasa song chiding the disrespectful tongue played in my head.

Luckily for me, he didn’t seem to mind.   

“Let me cut to the chase, then”, he said. 

Our tea and bonda had arrived. 





He continued:

“The other day, I was talking to Shesha – you know him, don’t you?”
“The PUC Maths teacher?”
“No”, he said – his voice falling away, in slight disappointment, “Shesha is the sweeper at Smriti Bhavan.”
“Oh”, I said, wondering why he expected me to know him.
“Well, Shesha told me this story about a landlord’s house being burnt in his village. It’s not too far away, this village – four hours, two buses – from here. He told me a few boys and girls from the forest did it – they had a gun, wore khaki. Picture this: four persons, a pair of guns, some oil, a few matchsticks. A house blazing. The hills and the trees are quiet witnesses.

Here’s the thing: no one dies, though. The landlord’s wife and children escape because they happen to be away, on an invitation to the temple by the priest. When they do get there, a very perplexed priest greets them. He asks them why they’d come without notice. They insist the priest’s new Brahmin trainee had sent for them; the priest says he doesn’t have a trainee; in fact, he’s never had a trainee, Brahmin or otherwise. Meanwhile, the landlord, who had decided to give God a miss to nap in his bedroom, finds the house burning, but his front door miraculously – and inexplicably – thrown wide open; he flees outside. The burning has real consequences: the very next day onwards, Shesha’s relatives stop walking all the way to the river to get water – a clearly shaken landlord has opened his well to all. Like the bard said: all’s well that ends well …”

I chuckled and asked:
“So, Shesha is from a formerly untouchable caste?”
“Yes.”
“And Shesha’s people have something to do with these gun-toting forest youth?”
“Those gun-toting forest youths are Naxals.”
“Naxals? In these parts, in these times?”
“Oh they may be factitious, but they’re resilient – come 2020, mark my words, they’ll still be saying: the red flag on the red fort, in ten years!”
“So you’re suggesting that the landlord realized that opening the well to all might placate these Naxals in some way”
“Yes, but – ”
“And that Shesha’s people have something to do with them?”
“No, you’ve got the relationship mixed up: I’m suggesting the Naxals may have something to do with Shesha’s people.”
I mulled over the statement, not entirely sure what he meant.
“And the Brahmin trainee?”, I asked, “A benevolent Naxal in disguise?”
“The priest claims that it was God himself, in disguise. The landlord believed him, though somewhat reluctantly – the priest made him part with a few hundred rupees as donation to the benevolent God as a token of gratitude.”
“Well, there’s precedent: Hanuman adopted the Brahmin guise too … you never know.”
“If there is a God”, the writer proclaimed so that everyone in Ice Land could hear, “then he is here – in these bondas and kaapi.”

The light through the window had turned the colour of clementines; the smell of incense wafted from behind the proprietor; a bunch of bored bank clerks from the corporation bank walked in quietly and stared at nothing in particular.

“So, why tell me all this?”, I asked the writer.
“I thought you’d never ask.”
I laughed.
“I told you all this because I wanted to know if you’d like to come to Shesha’s village with me …” the writer said, taking off his glasses and placing them on the table.
He continued:
“... I am going next week to meet with these Naxals. Shesha’s told me he’d arrange a meeting; they often come to eat in one of their houses.”

I remember being taken aback by the suggestion, but my pulse didn’t quicken, no sweat trickled down my brow. Instead, I remember, clear as the Suvarna in my memory’s eye, the reflection of the slowly spinning long ceiling fan (even then a relic of an earlier era) in the writer’s glasses.

And, the hotel radio was playing a popular Kannada film song that went:

She saw me,
I saw her,
She saw me. 

*

(Continued: Part 3)


No comments: